The UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals are essentially a blueprint to achieving a better and more sustainable future for all. In this blog, we explore how Spenbeck is meeting the UN’s environmental sustainability goals.
Goal 7: Affordable and Clean Energy
SDG Goal 7 works to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. At the start of 2021 Spenbeck switched to 100% renewable energy from Valda Energy and have prioritised works to improve the thermal health of The Birkin Building (home to our flagship offices in Nottingham’s Lace Market), through the installation of secondary glazing and heating upgrades.
Goal 12: Responsible Consumption
Responsible consumption is key in order to minimise the number of materials and resources we are consuming. In turn, this decreases waste, emissions, and carbon footprint. We have aimed to meet this goal by:
- Issuing pre-qualification questionnaires (PQQs) to guarantee quality assurance among our contractors, ensuring that our partners have the appropriate accreditations and follow sustainable business practices that align with our values while working towards a circular economy
- Sourcing FSC-certified, locally-produced and recycled materials where possible
- Installing zoned LED lights to decrease energy usage
- Using chemical-free cleaning products which are biodegradable, kinder to the environment and proven to have a positive impact on mental and physical health
- Implementing the DOFF steam-cleaning technique, an environmentally-friendly method approved by Historic England, to clean masonry
Goal 13: Climate Action
Nottingham has made an ambitious commitment to become the UK’s first Carbon Neutral City by 2028, and we are keen to help achieve this goal by implementing a number of suggestions listed in Nottingham City Council’s ‘2028 Carbon Neutral Action Plan‘, including:
- Increasing energy conservation by tackling thermal leakage in our spaces
- Installing bike racks and on-site showers to encourage a more environmentally-friendly commute to work
- Switching to a renewable energy tariff
If you or your business are striving to meet your SDG goals and are looking to move into a sustainable workspace, get in touch to find out how we can make our offices work for you.